Thursday, December 3, 2015

December 3 - Suicide




I grew up the moment I heard the news.  Until then, I was still child-like, innocent, with not a care in the world.  Then my world was shattered by one selfish act.  I do not purport to try to understand what you were going through, to know why.  I will never know why.  But had you seen the devastation you left behind, the rivers of tears, would you have chosen differently?

I am no longer the same person I was before that day, that hour, that minute.  I yearn to know why, but there are no answers.  There will never be answers, though I am starting to suspect we have inherited more than our eye colour, hair colour, facial features.  I begin to understand we both inherited the same flawed genes.  The very ones that influenced your choices that morning.  As I grow closer to the age you were, I wonder, are there enough differences between you and I, both poised on either end of the sibling spectrum, to ensure I’ll make different choices, that my outcome will be different from yours.  Or am I doomed to the genetic makeup we both share.

I hope that I can learn from your choices, your actions.  Then it will not have all been in vain.

No comments:

Post a Comment